The bonding of two or more elements forms a product, which is commonly known as a compound. In this article, we will know about the formulation of the Vinyl compound which transforms from the PVC Resin.
The formation is done to fulfill the requirement of Vinyl compounds in different industries. In the process, the formulation-engineers create a custom compound, to achieve specific properties. This compound is widely used in the plastic industry, and the plastic industry is serving in many other industries such as floor tile, toy, furniture, paint, textile, sheeting, tubing, rubber, etc.
PVC Resin and It’s Types:
PVC (Poly Vinyl Chloride) Resin is a thermoplastic resin that can be softened and reheated. This white powdery solid (in its raw form) is highly resistant to oxidation and degradation in the presence of an atmosphere.
PVC Resin Can Be Divided Into 2 Types of PVC Compounds:
- Rigid PVC compound- The excellent mechanical properties and high melting point made this PVC compound an ideal choice for some applications such as pipe fitting, desk fitting, and rail fitting.
The Rigid PVC again can be divided into two subparts:
- Flexible PVC compound- The PVC compound used to form some other types of applications such as electrical wiring, medical tubing, automotive body side molding.
The Processes of PVC Resin Transformation-
PVC can consist of any method used to process thermoplastic polymers, but extraction is the most dominating one. Firstly, it transformed in powdery form and then obtained as a semi-product (granules) and finish product. The phase is known as PVC gelling.
The Vinyl compound preparation process-
The process for a hot-cold mixer should be performed at high speed, in which the polymer and additives are processed. The speed of agitator in a hot mixer should be between 1300 to 1500 RPM (rotation per minute). However, for cold mixers, it should be ~450 RPM (about 450 RPM). According to researchers and experimental data, the speed of the process can affect the quality of the product.
The procedure for the preparation for hot-cold mixers:
- Into the hot blender, the pre-weighed amounts of PVC, lubricants, antioxidants, UV stabilizers, and thermal stabilizers are used.
- Adding these polymer, stabilizer, and lubricants on a hot-mixer help to distribute the additives over the surface of a PVC grain, which over its external porous structure.
- The addition of plasticizers also affects the quality of plasticized PVC blends.
- At 70°C, a softener is added to this mixer and ensures that it is absorbed by the polymer at a faster rate.
- At 95°C or between 90 to 110°C (according to mixing intensity), the softener is absorbed by the polymer. And then the fillers and pigments are used into the mixer.
- At the approximate temperature of 125°C to 130°C (according to the composition of the blend) the process is stopped.
- Then this blender is cooled down till it gets the temperature of 40°C.
To evaluate powder PVC compositions the plastographic method is commonly used where the gelling time and thermal stability are the basic processing parameters.
Ultimately, you can understand that the transformation of PVC resin into Vinyl Compound is a complex process to do, and only the experienced PVC Resin Suppliers can handle it properly.