Sodium tripolyphosphate is a widely produced chemical with a production amount of 2 million tons per year. The chemical is well-known with various names due to the presence of sodium or numbers of molecules such as Sodium tripolyphosphate (STPP), also known as Tripolyphosphate (TPP) or Sodium triphosphate (STP). The inorganic compound has a chemical formula of Na5P3O10. It is a sodium salt, which is composted by polyphosphate Penta-anion, a conjugate base of triphosphoric acid. The
production of this chemical occurs on a large scale because of the huge industrial and domestic uses.
STPP is extensively used in most commonly usable and dense laundry detergents in all forms such as powder, liquid, gel, tablets. In automatic dishwashing detergents, toilet cleaners, and surface cleaners, and provides several functions including sequestration of “water hardness” enabling surfactants to function effectively, pH buffering, emulsification of dirt and prevention of deposition, grease hydrolysis, and dissolving-dispersing dirt particles.
Sodium tripolyphosphate (STPP) is a solid inorganic compound, that is also used in a large variety of human foodstuffs, animal feeds, industrial cleaning processes and ceramics manufacture. The chemical provided by only a few trusted Sodium tripolyphosphate suppliers.
The colourless salt is a non-toxic agent, which is reliable as it confirmed that STPP has a biochemical understanding. It is progressively hydrolysed by biochemical activity in contact with wastewaters (in sewerage pipes) and behaves naturally in an aquatic environment.
Benefits of Sodium Tripolyphosphate
In The Detergent Industry
- It inhibits the effects of salts present in hard water and soils by sequestering ions.
- Re-dissolves calcium and magnesium compounds from previous washes.
- Prevents the deposit on the washing machine’s heating elements.
- Avoids re-deposition of dirt on fabrics
In The Food Industry
- As a preserving agent of food (seafood, meats).
- The chemical is also used as a food additive, in poultry, and animal food, because of the quality of emulsification and water-holding nature.
- As a builder, in house-hold cleaning products such as toilet cleaner, dishwashers etc.
- As a ceramics making agent, which is used in industrial cleaning.
In The Paper Industry
- In the process of paper production, STPP used as a coating agent (because of the ability to disappear in the presence of water).
- The chemical is also used as an agent to control the pitch in raw paper pulp.
In Other Industries
- As a preparing agent in the rubber industry.
- As a tanner agent in the leather industry.
- As a flame retardants to control fire.
- Used in ceramics to reduce the viscosity of glazes
- In drug delivery applications
- Used in manufacturing pigments and added while producing textiles